According to MMAFighting.com, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt will make his first title defense against Tarec Saffiedine in January. The event is slated for January 12, though no location has been determined.
Marquardt (32-10-2) claimed the vacant title when he knocked out Tyron Woodley this past July. He is a former UFC fighter, and has won six of his last eight.
Saffiedine (13-3) is on a three-fight win streak, including a recent triumph over Roger Bowling.
Strikeforce cancelled the last two planned cards for 2012, focusing towards a stacked event to start 2013. Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is rumored to be defending his belt vs. Lorenz Larkin on the same Showtime-televised card.
- UFC Offering Eight Free Fights Featuring GSP, Carlos Condit
- Nate Marquardt-Tarec Saffiedine Planned For Strikeforce In January
- Eddie Mendez Inks Deal With UFC
- GSP Working With Rory MacDonald For Upcoming Fight
- Carlos Condit Embraces Role Of Underdog For UFC 154
- Video: "In Focus: Franklin Vs. Le"
- Strikeforce To Return January 12, Luke Rockhold-Lorenz Larkin Scheduled
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.