Putting the kibosh on persistent rumors that Nate Diaz would be fighting Anthony Pettis before getting a title fight, UFC president Dana White revealed at Saturday's UFC On FOX 3 post-fight press conference that the younger of the fighting Diaz brothers will indeed be granted a shot at the belt.
Diaz impressively defeated Jim Miller by submission in the main event of UFC on FOX 3 Saturday night in East Rutherford, New Jersey, winning his third straight and becoming the first man to ever finish Miller in the process.
It was assumed early on that Diaz would get to face the winner of the upcoming Benson Henderson-Frankie Edgar rematch with a win over Miller, but White cooled those talks in the weeks leading up to the fight by pointing out how long Diaz would have to sit on the sidelines and wait for Henderson-Edgar 2 to play out (Henderson and Edgar won't be fighting before August).
However, it turns out that Diaz is happy to wait and the UFC is happy to oblige him. So, if plans don't change between now and then, Nate Diaz will be fighting for the UFC lightweight championship in his next outing.
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Ratings Continue To Flag
- Video: Marcus Davis Mulling Retirement After KO
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch Official For UFC 149
- Dominick Cruz Injures ACL, UFC 148 Title Fight Canceled
- Nate Marquardt Vs. Tyron Woodley For Strikeforce Title
- Dana White Credits Donald Trump With UFC Return To Atlantic City
- Brian Stann Vs. Hector Lombard To Main Event "UFC On FOX 4"
- UFC Thinking About Another Possible Comeback Season For "TUF"
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode Recap: Wanderlei Earns A Win
- "Super Fight League 3" Results: James Thompson Tops Bobby Lashley
- Roger Gracie To Make Middleweight Debut Vs. Keith Jardine At Strikeforce Event
- Frank Mir Discusses His Next Opponent UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos
- Not Even Illness Could Take Johny Hendricks Down
- Nate Diaz Happy To Rest Up Before Title Shot
- Hendricks Vs. GSP A "Pretty Interesting Fight" To UFC Pres
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.