Part of Cesar Gracie was happy to see Benson Henderson defend his UFC lightweight title with a decision victory over Frankie Edgar. That's because Edgar and Gracie fighter, Nate Diaz, have worked under the same training roof.
"Ben was the ideal opponent," said Gracie, during a recent interview with Sherdog Radio's Beatdown show. "He really was. Not because he's easier; just because Nate doesn't want to fight Frankie. Frankie's been to my school a couple of times. He's a great guy and he's kind of a part of our extended family."
Diaz and Henderson do not have a set date yet, but they are expected to face each other later this year. Gracie added that the entire group he was with was pulling for Edgar to win.
"We were just thinking, 'Man, we want Frankie to win, but then we don't want to fight him,'" Gracie said. "It was kind of a weird deal right there."
- Chael Sonnen Will Face Forrest Griffin In December
- Video: Preview For Second Episode Of "All Access: Ronda Rousey"
- Brian Stann Fires Back At Alexander Shlemenko's Comments
- Alexander Shlemenko Says UFC Fighters Use Injury To Dictate Fights, Calls Out Brian Stann
- ONE FC Releases Complete Fight Card For Next Event
- Bellator Title Fight Between Pat Curran-Patricio Freire Off
- Experience Comes First, Then Championship Gold For Erick Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.