During the pre-UFC 131 press conference, UFC President Dana White revealed that the UFC would be making all of their non-title main events five rounds.
“[Phil Davis vs. Rashad Evans] should be [five rounds],” White said (transcribed by MMAJunkie.com). “But what I don’t want to do to guys is fights that we’ve already made and they’ve signed the bout agreement, you’re mentally training for a three-round fight. To come back and say, ‘Oh, it’s five rounds now,’ you can’t do that to a guy…So all the [main event] fights that will be made from this day forward will be five rounds.” This is great news. Some fights need those extra two round to be decided. Example: Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin. Now, if we could only get that overtime round implemented for draws…
According to a report from MMAWeekly.com, UFC President Dana White said that Diaz would be vacating his Strikeforce belt to take the fight with Georges St-Pierre on October 29 at UFC 137. Strikeforce will book two other fighters to fight for the vacant Welterweight title later in the year. Nick Diaz is now a UFC fighter, though he’ll have the option to fight in Strikeforce again down the line if he chooses. Which means he’s not ever going back to Strikeforce. Why would he? All the fights that make sense for him lie in the UFC Octagon, not the Strikeforce hexagon. Plus, there’s more money to be had with UFC exposure.
UFC President Dana White revealed that the Light Heavyweight Championship bout between Jon Jones and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will headline the UFC’s first event in Denver in 16 years this September at UFC 135, provided the Champion gets his hand cleared by doctors. This is a great fight. I fully expect Jones to try to take Rampage down, but he better watch his flashy moves. Rampage can knock anyone out with either hand.
UFC president Dana White also confirmed that the UFC is moving forward with its plan to add a 125-pound Flyweight division to its existing seven weight classes. White said it could come “like, really soon,” possibly by year’s end.” This is great news, but what they really need is a division between 205 and 265. Let’s call it the Cruiserweight or Junior Heavyweight or something.
The previously announced welterweight matchup between Matt Hughes and Diego Sanchez will take place on September’s UFC 135 card from the Pepsi Center in Denver, CO. This is a fight I didn’t see coming, but I can’t wait to see it. If Sanchez wins this, he’s one win from a shot.
MMA Quick Hits 6/10/11: Five Round Main Events, Nick Diaz loses title is a post originally from: SportsNickel.com - In Sports We Trust