1. Matt Serra calls GSP “predictable”: Matt Serra told Newsday.com that GSP has become predictable. “It is a brutal crowd [in Montreal] if you’re fighting Captain Canada in Canada. I thought the cage was shaking. It was brutal. Brutal. But I don’t think it’s going to effect Koscheck at all because he loves being the heel…St-Pierre is predictable now. Everyone knows what he’s going to do. But now you gotta stop it.” I agree. GSP always looks for the takedown. Trouble is, no one has been able to stop him. Even great wrestlers and guys with great takedown defense. It should be interesting this Saturday night.
2. Cody McKenzie’s next fight: MMAJunkie.com is reporting that TUF 12′s Cody McKenzie is slated to meet Yves Edwards at UFC Fight Night 23, also known as UFC Fight for the Troops 2. Edwards was originally scheduled to meet Melvin Guillard on the card, but Guillard was bumped up to the main event against Evan Dunham when Kenny Florian was forced off of the card due to injury. It’s amazing that he’s 12-0. I don’t understand how. It seems all he has is a Guillotine Choke, but no one defends it.
3. Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann: According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, Diego Sanchez will stick around in the welterweight division, at least for his next fight, where he will meet Martin Kampmann in what will likely be the main event of UFC on Versus 3. Versus 3 is expected to take place on Thursday, March 3, but the location and venue for the event have not yet been finalized. Sweet. This will definitely decide where Sanchez belongs. If he can get past Kampmann, then all the talk of him dropping back down to Lightweight should be hushed. I still think he’s a little undersized for 170, but I guess we’ll see.
4. UFC on Versus 3 adds another fight: MMAWeekly.com is reporting that a middleweight bout between Mark Munoz and C.B. Dollaway will take place on the UFC’ on Versus 3 event in March. Both of these guys are in the middle of the pack, and both guys have looked pretty good lately, but initial thinking has me siding with Dollaway. It’s a nice addition to a free event.
5. Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley a possibility: Cesar Gracie told MMAJunkie.com that since Nick Diaz and Jason Miller can’t come to an agreement on weight, they would welcome a fight with Paul Daley. “I would take that fight right now for January. After Paul’s performance, it puts him right in the thick of things. Daley’s name was brought up. I think that would be an amazing fight myself because styles make fights, and those two styles would be explosive.” I would also welcome this fight. Not because I think Daley will win, but because Daley COULD win. And if the won it would be by devastating knockout. Something I’ve been waiting for when it come to Nick and Nate Diaz.
- MMA Quick Hits 12/6/10: Strikeforce replacing the UFC, Nick Diaz vs. Jason Miller
- MMA Quick Hits 9/16/10: Paul Daley finds a home, Josh Barnett shuns the UFC
- MMA Quick Hits 10/27/10: Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz in the UFC, Cro Cop vs. Roy Nelson