1. Nam Phan gets his win bonus anyway: In an interview with Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com, Nam Pham revealed that he was paid his win bonus for his loss against Leonard Garcia. “Dana white came by backstage and told me, ‘You’re getting your win bonus because you won that fight.’”
I thought business is business, and I just thought if I lost, I lost, and I would only get my base pay. That’s how it usually goes. But the UFC – Dana White takes care of the fighters. I really appreciate that.” I think that’s fantastic. Dana, despite criticism, does take care of the fighters when the perform. And on top of that, he got an extra $30,000 for “Fight of the Night,” so he did pretty well.
2. Koscheck against the Canadian crowd: Josh Koscheck told MMAWeekly.com that he expects a hostile crowd this Saturday night. “I’m sure they’re going to be on Georges’ side, chanting GSP all the time and booing me. It is what it is. I’ve still got to go in there and win the fight. Right now, I’m just focused on my next couple days of training, getting my weight down, and come to Montreal and shut all 23,000 people up…I don’t know, it will probably be the same [response LeBron James got in Cleveland]…My plan is to shut them all up and knock Georges St-Pierre out.” It might be worse. The crowd will definitely be in favor of GSP, for one, GSP is Canadian. And two, Koscheck is Koscheck.
3. Strikeforce replacing the UFC: With the UFC pulling out of an event this March, MMAJunkie.com is reporting that Strikeforce is in talks to bring an event to the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio during the Arnold Sports Classic. “We’re in talks with the (Arnold) organizations,” Strikeforce CEO Coker said. “We think it could be a good fit for us. It’d be a big event, for sure. We’re working on it.” This is a good idea, should Strikeforce decide to hold an event. Zuffa has held an event there for the last several years, so if Strikeforce can get a contract done, maybe they’ll be able to be the staple.
4. Dan Henderson getting a title shot: ESPN’s Josh Gross is reporting that Dan Henderson, fresh off his first round devastating knockout win over Renato “Babalu” Sobral, will be offered a shot at Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante in March 2011. Ummm, I guess. I think Strikeforce should probably put together Henderson and King Mo to decide who gets a shot, but it seems like they are desperate for Henderson to become a champion.
5. Nick Diaz not fighting Jason Miller: Nick Diaz’s camp wrote on GracieFighter.com that Diaz will not be meeting Jason “Mayhem” Miller this January. “Despite having previously fought at the 170 lbs weight limit, Miller now says that he is unwilling to meet at 178 and instead wants Strikeforce’s Welterweight Champion to move up to middleweight to fight him. Miller has stated he would be willing to lose 2 pounds and fight at 183 lbs. As of yet Miller has defeated none of the top Strikeforce contenders but did win a fight on MTV’s Bully Beatdown show.” I don’t understand why this fight can’t get done. Diaz wants to fight at 178lbs, but Miller only wants to drop to 183? Correct me if I’m wrong, but Diaz fights at 170, and Miller at 185. Seems logical to me that the fight should take place at 178. I can’t believe I’m siding with Nick Diaz.
- MMA Quick Hits 10/11/10: Diaz and Miller almost fight backstage, Overeem continues his verbal assault
- MMA Quick Hits 10/27/10: Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz in the UFC, Cro Cop vs. Roy Nelson
- Strikeforce News: Nick Diaz calling out everyone