1. Bellator adds a 205lb tournament: Bellator announced on Monday that they are planning a 205 lb. division tournament, and that the search is underway for tournament participants. “We’ve wanted to add a Light Heavyweight World Championship Tournament since Season 1, but wanted to ensure that when we did it, we had a great group fighting for the title. Now, we do,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “One of the best parts of my job is handing over the Bellator World Title belt to a new champion, and I’ll have the pleasure of doing it again this upcoming season.” Sweet. The Light Heavyweight division is arguably the most exciting division in all of MMA, and I’m sure there is a bunch of untapped talent out there for Bellator to showcase.
2. Thiago Alves is back: Thiago Alves told MMAWeekly.com that he’s back and wants to get back to the belt. “I just want to fight whoever’s going to bring me closer to the belt again. It doesn’t matter who it is. Nothing changed as far as my goals, I want to be the welterweight champion. Whoever’s going to bring me closer, I’m ready for it. It doesn’t matter who it is, I’ll be ready for it. Welterweight division, watch out, I’m back.” He certainly looked back against Howard. If he continues improving like that, he’s bound to get another shot, maybe by the end of 2011.
3. Strikeforce having a Heavyweight Tournament: Tatame.com is reporting that Strikeforce is planning the eight man heavyweight tournament to begin in early 2011. Fedor-”Bigfoot” is reportedly agreed to for February, and Fabricio Werdum may then meet Sergei Kharitonov in March. The other bouts in the tournament would include Brett Rogers vs. Josh Barnett and Alistair Overeem vs. Andrei Arlovski. Umm, what? How does this make sense? Maybe without Overeem in it, but if he’s in and loses to Arlovski or whoever during the tournament, it will minimize his title. Take out Overeem and it would be good.
4. Souza vs. Lawler for the title: Strikeforce has added another fight to their January 29 card. Multiple published reports state that Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza will defend his Strikeforce Middleweight Championship for the first time against Robbie Lawler. The January 29 card will take place from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA. This fight makes sense. I don’t know how long Lawler will be employed by Strikeforce, but this fight should be a good one.
5. WEC video of Pickett vs. Menjivar: The WEC closed their doors last week with an exciting four fight main card on Versus from the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, AZ. But with both title fights going the distance, none of the night’s preliminary card made the broadcast. But, the UFC and Versus.com have made at least one of the preliminary card bouts available online for fans to watch. Check out the bantamweight bout between Brad “One Punch” Pickett and Ivan Menjivar. It’s pretty good.
- MMA Quick Hits 6/9/10: Fedor on PPV, Urijah gets a fight
- Strikeforce News: Babalu to fight Lawler
- MMA Quick Hits 10/11/10: Diaz and Miller almost fight backstage, Overeem continues his verbal assault