1. Roger Huerta injury report: According to a report from MMAFighting.com, Roger Huerta suffered broken orbital bones in both eyes in his fight against Eddie Alvarez. Many questioned the decision to stop the fight with his eye swelled up at the end of the second round, but the doctor’s decision has been validated. I was one of those people. While Alvarez dominated the fight, Huerta was in it. But good call to stop the fight. Hopefully Huerta recovers and continues to fight…which is in question.
2. Henderson/Sobral to get next shot: According to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, the winner between Dan Henderson and Renato “Babalu” Sobral will likely get the next title shot against Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante. Coker told MMAWeekly.com, “Right now my feeling is Dan Henderson fights Babalu, the winner should be fighting Rafael Feijao. To me I think the winner will probably be granted a title shot.” Yeah, that makes sense, seeing how Henderson just got owned by Jake Shields. Backslash the sarcasm.
3. Brock Lesnar vs. Roy Nelson: According to Bryan Alvarez on the “Wrestling Observer Live” radio show at F4WOnline.com, Brock Lesnar has asked the UFC for a fight with Roy Nelson. Alvarez stated that Lesnar believes Nelson would be a very difficult matchup and he wants another tough test. However, Alvarez said that the UFC will first offer Lesnar a third fight with Frank Mir. I would much rather see Lesnar/Nelson than Lesnar/Mir 3. While the trilogy could make more money, I’d rather not see it unless there is a title on the line. Besides, the comic value of the pictures of these two side by side is worth it by itself.
4. GSP will finish Koscheck: In an interview with Men’s Fitness UK, GSP predicts how he’ll win. “Yeah, I think [Josh Koscheck] is going to try to put me down. I also think he’s going to try to knock me out with his big right hand but I know him. I’ve been studying so much tape on him, I’ve got to the point where I know Josh Koscheck probably better than he even knows himself…[My prediction for the fight is that] I win, that’s all I can say. Submission or knockout.” So GSP is finally going to get back on the “finishing track?” Good. It’s about time. Not that I think he’ll do it, but I hope he tries.
5. Urijah Faber the next TUF coach: MMAWeekly.com asked Urijah Faber about being a coach on The Ultimate Fighter. “I’d love to do that. I think I really enjoy [coaching] on some level. I’m not the guy that’s coaching my guys individually every day, but I give a lot of talks on mentality and things like that. I’ve got a ton of knowledge, I think it would be awesome to be an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ coach.” This would be a perfect way to introduce the “little guys” to the UFC fans. Have Faber and Dominick Cruz coach opposite one another, coaching up 135 or 145 pound fighters. Book it.
MMA Quick Hits 11/3/10: Lesnar vs. Nelson, Urijah Faber the next TUF coach is a post originally from: SportsNickel.com - In Sports We Trust
- MMA Quick Hits 8/20/10: Urijah Faber returns, Fedor’s next fight
- MMA Quick Hits 10/27/10: Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz in the UFC, Cro Cop vs. Roy Nelson
- MMA Quick Hits 10/6/10: Rich Franklin takes on Forrest Griffin, Brock Lesnar on Primetime