Phil Davis is out of UFC 133 with a knee injury, this according to MMA Fighting who broke the story. At this point, it is unclear as to how this will affect Rashad Evans, but it won’t be easy to find a suitable replacement on some three weeks notice. Tito Ortiz just fought and wasn’t injured, perhaps he’d like a shot to redeem himself against Evans. Not to beat a dead horse, but this could also open the way for a fight between Champion Jon Jones and number one contender Rashad Evans at UFC 134.
The injury bug that skipped UFC 132 for the most part once again reared it’s ugly head again when it struck main event participant Phil Davis via a knee injury that will force the undefeated Light Heavyweight out of his number one contender fight with Rashad Evans. UFC 133 takes place the first week of August, and a replacement would need to be found almost immediately for Rashad to stay on the card. Currently the co main event is set to featurer Rich Franklin battle Antonio Rogerio “Diet Nog” Nogueira. Either of those two Light Heavyweights could be slid into the main event.
Lyoto Machida was expected to meet the winner of Ryan Bader and Tito Ortiz so he might be in line for the fight, as might Tito who finished Bader a couple minutes into their fight on July 2nd and is injury free.
The only other Light Heavyweights on the card are Vladimir Matyushenko and Alexander Gustafsson and neither of them seem likely to be getting the main event bump.
Stay tuned to MMA Valor for more info as it becomes available.
The UFC 133 card currently looks like this:
Main card (PPV)
- Rashad Evans vs. TBA
- Rich Franklin vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira
- Vitor Belfort vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama
- Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
- Rory MacDonald vs. Mike Pyle
Preliminary card (Spike TV)
- Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexander Gustafsson
- Chad Mendes vs. Rani Yahya
Preliminary card -(Facebook)
- Dennis Hallman vs. Brian Ebersole
- Ivan Menjivar vs. Nick Pace
- Johny Hendricks vs. Mike Pierce
- Mike Brown vs. Nam Phan
- Rafael Natal vs. Costantinos Philippou
- WEC and its revolving door of Champions
- TUF 11 episode 9-11 leaked or Wikipedia bull??
- UFC 133 Fight Card and Presale Info
- Which came first….Jon Jones or the egg?
- Top 5 UFC attendances heading into UFC 129 Show Canadian Dominance
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMAValor.com