During the post-fight press conference of UFC 139, Dana White told the media that he’s glad that Henderson vs. Rua didn’t happen on the first ever Fox broadcast.
“If that fight that happened tonight went on Fox for the first time ever, let me tell you what – I would not be having a good time these last five or six days. We’ve got to ease our way – look, we live in this bubble, gang. We live in this bubble that the rest of the world doesn’t live in and doesn’t understand. We’re still in an education process and educating the masses about what the sport is and what it’s all about. Those of us who are in this room and people who have been watching this for a long time just incredibly appreciate what those two did tonight in there, and you can understand what they went through and what’s going on. The rest of the world would go, ‘Oh my God. What was that?’”
I can’t say I agree 100% with this. If memory serves me correctly, Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar launched the UFC and that fight was a freaking war too. True, it was on Spike, and that demographic is slightly more apt to accept a bloody battle than most Fox viewers, but come on. Henderson/Rua was one of, if not the, greatest fights I’ve ever seen. But, to be fair, the mainstream audience that the UFC is targeting could have been freaked out by it.
After his five round war with Dan Henderson, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua stated he’d like to do it again. “It certainly was a great fight. I do not know how the judges made the final round of counting, could or should have been 10-8 to me. But that takes nothing away from Dan Henderson. He is a legend and one of those fighters who have created a legacy. But I want revenge, I think it would be another great battle and the public wants to see.”
Rua has a point and that last round was most likely a 10-8, which would’ve scored the fight a draw. And would I want to see it again? Of course. But I don’t think it’s happening anytime soon, and it would be hard to capture the same magic we saw this past Saturday night.
Last week, UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva said that if Chael Sonnen wanted to fight him again, he should come to Brazil for the bout. Sonnen responded to that challenge on his Twitter account saying, “I accept Anderson. Brazil it is. Now then, about that meal…”
Excellent. Dana White said Silva is expected to be out until June, which is when the UFC plans on going to a soccer stadium in Brazil. Sonnen vs. Silva 2 would sell that out in now time.
MMAWeekly.com is reporting that verbal agreements are in place between Cheick Kongo and Mark Hunt for UFC 144 in Japan, and that Bart Palaszewski vs. Hatsu Hioki is also being targeted for the event.
This Japan event is shaping up quite nicely, though I think I would rather see Kongo/Nelson than Kongo/Hunt. But Hunt is a big name in Japan, so business-wise, it makes sense.
UFC President Dana White expects The Ultimate Fighter ratings to double once it moves over to FX. “Now that we’ve got this new platform, going on big Fox and FX, the amount of viewers that are going to watch [will grow]. This season of The Ultimate Fighter with no promotion whatsoever is pulling between 1.5 and 1.8 million viewers. We’ll more than double that when we go on FX. We’ll probably have more than three million viewers on FX watching The Ultimate Fighter.”
I guess we’ll see. It should do more views, and I think the live fights will draw more interest. Let have Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber be coaches. Add a little drama/trash talk to the show.