What’s that, four heavyweight fights and not one “zombie” walks from any of the eight fighters. What fans did get were two very competitive bouts that would go the distance pared with two one-sided bouts that would end early.
MAIN CARD (Heavyweight Tournament Quarterfinal round)
265 lbs.: Ron Sparks (8-0) defeated Mark Holata (11-3) by 1st rd. KO (1:24)
- Once the bell rang you knew this one would not make it out of the first round. Both fighters came out swinging and it was just a matter of time before one of them landed the big punch. The combinations of Sparks were too much for Holata as two left hooks dropped the big man and the fight was over after two unnecessary hammerfists from Sparks.
265 lbs.: Eric Prindle (8-1) defeated Abe Wagner (10-5) by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- If you like fighters with wobbly legs you loved this fight as each fighter took their turn on shaky ground. It was Prindle who first got rocked and did the wobbly leg dance not once but twice in round one. Next it was Wagner with the wobbly legs in round two as Prindle poured it on. Surprisingly the two weren’t “Zombie” gassed in round three as Prindle took over and had Wagner on his back for most of the round.
265 lbs.: Blagoi Ivanov (10-0, 1nc) defeated Zak Jensen (10-8) by 2nd rd. Technical Submission (Guillotine) (2:35)
- A nice hip toss gets the fight to the ground for Ivanov and he moves right into full mount. Jensen survives and gets the fight back standing, where Ivanov landed everything but the kitchen sink. Another toss puts Ivanov in full mount again, attempting a kimura. Jensen tried to get up and Ivanov looked for a guillotine that he didn’t let go until his opponent’s arms went limp and the referee pulled him off.
265 lbs.: Mike Hayes (17-4-1) defeated Neil Grove (11-4-1) by Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Fighters floating on the outside in the opening round, almost like each is waiting for the other to attack. Still not a lot of action in round two but Hayes did land a flurry that included a head. Grove comes out determined to bring the action to Hayes in the third and final round. Grove does the best damage of the fight but the two clinch and he ends up on the bottom with Hayes on top. Grove was able to reverse to top position but he loses it when he tries for a leg lock. Hayes end the fight on top and that’s the last thing the judges saw….
Semifinal matchups: Eric Prindle vs. Ron Sparks & Blagoi Ivanov vs. Mike Hayes
155 lbs.: Josh Quayhagen defeated Cosmo Alexander by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
150 lbs.: Genair da Silva defeated Bryan Goldsby by 1st rd. Submission (Brabo Choke)
213 lbs.: Matt Van Buren defeated Nick Nichols by 2nd rd. TKO
265 lbs.: Justin Frazier defeated Liron Wilson by 1st rd. TKO
- Bellator 52: Make Room for the Heavyweights
- Bellator Fighting Championship Season 5 Preview
- Ultimate Fight Night 19 Predictions
- UFC 102 Predictions
- Christian M’Pumbu Makes a Statement at Bellator 42
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMA Valor.