Saturday’s UFC on FOX will see a completely different format then the typical. The promotions network debut will only air the heavyweight championship main event during the slotted hour on Fox. The remaining nine fights will still be televised via stream on the UFC Facebook fan page and also on Foxsports.com.
Anchoring the preliminary card is a lightweight showdown with a shot at Frankie Edgar and his lightweight title possibly on the line. Fan Favorites Clay Guida and Ben Henderson have been winning impressively of late and now find themselves against one another. Guida (29-11) is coming in on a four fight winning streak and most recently defeated the former WEC champions Anthony Pettis. Henderson (14-2) who lost his WEC lightweight title to Pettis is undefeated in two UFC fights, most recently defeating Jim Miller. There is not quit or slowing down in these two, expect fireworks and one hell of a fight.
The headliner is for the UFC heavyweight championship as Cain Velasquez returns to the Octagon after nearly 13 months to make his first title defense against Junior Dos Santos. Velasquez (9-0) defeated Brock Lesnar pretty easily at UFC 121 to become the champ with a first round TKO. Dos Santos (13-1) was supposed to face Lesnar after the two coached TUF 13 but instead he defeated Shane Carwin at UFC 131 after Lesnar was forced out of the bout. Whether the fight goes 25 seconds or 25 minutes their fight is the perfect bout to introduce new fans to the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.
Preliminary card (Facebook and FoxSports.com)
205 lbs.: Aaron Rosa will defeat Matt Lucas by TKO
170 lbs.: Mike Pierce will defeat Paul Bradley by Unanimous Decision
135 lbs.: Cole Escovedo will defeat Alex Caceres by Submission
145 lbs.: Robert Peralta will defeat Mackens Semerzier by TKO
135 lbs.: Norifumi Yamamoto will defeat Darren Uyenoyama by TKO
170 lbs.: DaMarques Johnson will defeat Clay Harvison by Submission
145 lbs.: Ricardo Lamas will defeat Cub Swanson by Unanimous Decision
145 lbs.: Dustin Poirier will defeat Pablo Garza by Unanimous Decision
155 lbs.: Ben Henderson will defeat Clay Guida by Split Decision
265 lbs.: Cain Velasquez will defeat Junior dos Santos by 3rd rd TKO
- Cain has been out of action a long time and the beginning of the first round will start out slow as the champ shakes off the ring rust. This will be the best opportunity for Dos Santos to use his excellent boxing to hurt the champ. Whether or not Dos Santos can hurt Cain, he’ll recover and eliminate all the cobwebs. The fight will hit the canvas in round two and the champ will soften up the challenger. In the third round Cain will score and early takedown and Dos Santos will not get up again until the fight has been stopped.
- All Fighters Make weight for the UFC on FOX
- The Top 5 Fights in November
- Bellator 56 Bold Predictions
- A look at Junior Dos Santos’ future
- UFC 138: Leben vs. Munoz Bold Predictions
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMA Valor.