After a successful debut on network TV the UFC heads up interstate 101 from Anaheim, California to the HP Pavilion in San Jose for UFC 139. The former home of Strikeforce, the UFC is making their first trip to San Jose. With MMA legends and former champions all over the card, UFC 139 is one of the deepest fight cards of the year.
The night is headlined by a light heavyweight clash between two former pride fighters Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Dan Henderson. The former champs are fighting for a potential title shot against the winner of the Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida should Rashad Evans been unavailable again.
An exciting middleweight fight between Wanderlei Silva and the San Jose native Cung Le will be the co-main event of the night.
The UFC 139 Preliminary card will air on Facebook.com (5 fights) and Spike TV (2 fights) before finishing the night with PPV main card (5 fights).
Main card (PPV)
205 lbs.: Dan Henderson will defeat Maurício Rua by 3rd rd. TKO
- Let’s get one thing straight here, Shogun is not going to knockout Henderson and with only one submission win on his record Rua will need to out point his opponent. The ability to finish the fight at any moment will con in handy for Henderson in the 3rd round when Rua begin to gas and lower his guard. A big right hand will signal the beginning of the end, with some ground and pound to clean things up.
185 lbs.: Cung Le will defeat Wanderlei Silva by 1st rd. KO
- Cung Le hasn’t fought since June of 2010 but Wanderlei Silva hasn’t won since February of 2010. This fight will not hit the canvas until the fight is over and someone got knocked out. Bad news here is the fan favorite Silva will be on the receiving end of yet another brutal knockout.
135 lbs.: Brian Bowles will defeat Urijah Faber by Unanimous Decision
- The early front-runners for the fight of the night as two former champions go head to head. Bowles has the power advantage but Faber has the speed and endurance. This fight will be close and might even end up as a split decision but Bowles will do more damage and the judges will give him the win.
170 lbs.: Martin Kampmann will defeat Rick Story by 2nd rd Submission
- Story is going to be able to get this fight to the ground but Kampmann will be able to get up and will continue to work off his back. Kampmann is the more all-around fighter between the two and will dominate the clinch game, pushing the shots for a takedown attempt back. The submission grappler will grab a hold of a neck during a sloppy takedown attempt to finish the fight.
205 lbs.: Kyle Kingsbury will defeat Stephan Bonnar by Unanimous Decision
- Slug-fest alert! There will be blood in this fight but I do not see a finish happening here. What you will get is an exciting fight for 15 minutes that will end up going in the AKA trained Kyle Kingsbury.
Preliminary card (Spike TV)
205 lbs.: Ryan Bader will defeat Jason Brilz by Decision
135 lbs.: Michael McDonald will defeat Alex Soto by TKO
Preliminary card (FaceBook.com)
185 lbs.: Chris Weidman will defeat Tom Lawlor by Decision
155 lbs.: Gleison Tibau will defeat Rafael dos Anjos by Decision
135 lbs.: Miguel Torres will defeat Nick Pace by Submission
170 lbs.: Seth Baczynski will defeat Matt Brown by Submission
155 lbs.: Danny Castillo will defeat Shamar Bailey by Decision
- UFC on FOX Bold Predictions
- UFC 138: Leben vs. Munoz Bold Predictions
- UFC 132 Cruz vs. Faber 2 Winners and Why!
- UFC 138: Leben vs. Munoz Results
- UFC 102 Predictions
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMA Valor.