However, when the rumors first leaked onto the internet, things seemed much less certain. At one point, there was an exchange between Michael Bisping and Sonnen (who fought each other in January, with Sonnen taking a controversial decision over the Brit) over Twitter that made it seem as though Sonnen would be fighting Bisping instead of Silva, possibly for an interim title. On a recent episode of UFC Tonight, Bisping shed some light on the whole exchange.
"The thing is, to be honest, direct messages on Twitter, it's personal, it's private and I think it would be improper of me to divulge that information. But, when have you known me to do the proper thing?
"So here we have the information," Bisping said as he pulled out his cell phone. "I was actually sat in the doctors surgery when this came through. 'Alright man, here's my guess. You're not hurt, and we are rematching. If I'm right, give me a clue in your next tweet: Include the word 'lad' in your next tweet. And I'm sat in the doctor's surgery and I'm like 'What in the hell is this guy talking about?' Obviously, he's quaking in his boots at the thought of a rematch, because he knows I won the last fight, and he doesn't want to fight me again. Then, another one came through, 'Alright, conspiracy is theory over. Get well soon.' So, ya know, planet Chael strikes again."
You can check out Bisping's appearance below:
- Condit Says Rematch With Kampmann More Compelling Than Bout With Hendricks
- Michael Bisping Says Chael Sonnen "Quaking In His Boots" Over Potential Rematch
- Clay Guida Thinks Finishing Gray Maynard This Friday Puts Him In Title Mix
- Rich Franklin Thinks Wanderlei Silva Will Be More Motivated For Rematch
- Rebellion MMA Radio Returns Tonight With Michael Chandler & Joe Kelly
- Titan FC 23 Results: Jorge Santiago, Joe Wilk Earn Submission Victories
- ShoFight 20 Results: Kendall Grove Tops Derek Brunson, John Gunderson Downs Karo Parisyan
- Light Heavyweight Division In Anthony Johnson's Future
- More Injuries Hamper UFC 149 As Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Out
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.