Mauricio "Shogun" Rua had a chance earlier this year to claim a title shot vs. UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Now, it appears the ex-champion will get a second shot when he meets Alexander Gustafsson.
"It'll put one of those guys in the position (for a title shot)," White said.
Rua (21-6) and Gustafsson (14-1) will be the co-main event for a UFC lightweight title contest between champion Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz. The other main card bouts include Rory MacDonald-BJ Penn and Matt Brown-Mike Swick.
White, who has dealt with injuries galore over the past few months that have ruined several cards, added, "It's staying together so far. Please let this stay together." He added that the card is nearly sold out, and would "probably" be by the time he returns to the U.S. from Brazil.
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.