Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua caught a lot of flack when it was reported that he said he would rather be cut than fight Glover Teixeira. UFC president Dana White talked about trying to make the fight happen, but instead, Rua signed on to face Brandon Vera in the main event of UFC on Fox 4.
"They offered Glover to us. I talked with my team and we decided that Glover would not be interesting now," Rua said. "He just got into the UFC, he needs to get more fights. I had nothing to gain with the fight."
Rua admitted that he never threatened to leave the UFC or be cut by the promotion, adding, "I've never picked my opponents. I've fought against the best and I wanna keep doing it and to get my chance for the title."
On the subject of fighting Teixeira, Rua did say that down the road, it is a match that interests him.
- Stefan Struve, Stipe Miocic Set To Headline "UFC: Nottingham" Card
- Rich Franklin Talks Re-Matching With “Tornado” Wanderlei Silva
- Frank Mir Talks Future, Not Opposed To Pro Wrestling
- Paul Daley Signs Deal With Bellator Fighting Championships
- Quick Shots: Rampage App, OneFC, UFC Fan Expo Note, Bellator & XFC Signings
- Rebellion MMA Radio With Michael Chandler & Joe Kelly This Sunday
- If Called Upon, Martin Kampmann Will Be Ready To Face Carlos Condit
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.