Only two men have beaten UFC light heavyweight Glover Teixeira in a Mixed Martial Arts bout thus far—and it doesn't look like PRIDE legend, Maurício "Shogun" Rua will be added to that short list of victors any time soon.
According to Dana White, Shogun and his representatives informed the UFC president that Rua would prefer to be released from the world's premier MMA organization over a fight with the promotional newcomer.
"He [Rua] said he'd rather be cut than fight him. Nobody wants to fight this guy," revealed White to Ariel Helwani in a recent interview. "We're trying to match this guy [Rua] up with somebody, but he didn't mind fighting Brandon Vera, so he's fighting Brandon Vera."
As White mentioned, Shogun will now match up against another man known for his Muay Thai, Brandon Vera, in the headliner for the UFC on Fox 4 event.
Perhaps worried that the former PRIDE and UFC champion would perceive his words poorly, White expounded on his previous comments.
"I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting Shogun, because I'm not, I'm telling the truth. It's verbatim what his people said when we talked to them. You know me. I tell it like it is. If you don't want that out in public, then don't say it to me. Then don't say it on the phone.
"Shogun's a warrior, man. The guy's fought everybody."
While the current word is that Rua did not want the matchup because he felt it was a lose-lose situation, a win over Vera, who is 1-2-1 in his last four Octagon appearances, would not appear to raise Shogun's stock in the UFC's ultra-competitive 205 lb. division much more than a win over hyped prospect, Teixeira.
Regardless, Shogun and Vera will square off in the main event of UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera, scheduled for August 4.
- Bibiano Fernandes Out Of "UFC 149" Fight With Roland Delorme
- Joey Beltran Returns, Will Face James Te Huna At "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
- "UFC On FX 3: Johnson Vs. McCall 2" Ratings
- Erik Koch Aims To Wait It Out While Jose Aldo Recovers
- Martin Kampmann Talks Stoppage In Bout With Jake Ellenberger
- Ticket Sale Round Up: "UFC: Nottingham" And UFC 150 On Sale Soon
- "UFC: Nottingham" Set For September 29
- Demetrious Johnson Talks Victory Over Ian McCall
- Video: "UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2" Trailer
- Carlos Condit Responds To Interim Title Criticism
- Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Said He'd "Rather Be Cut" Than Fight Glover Teixeira
- UFC Approached Rory MacDonald About Fight With BJ Penn