During a conference call on Tuesday, Rua was asked about his decision to turn down a fight with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones earlier this year. Rua was coming off a victory over Brandon Vera just a few weeks prior to the planned Jones bout.
"I was totally off when the UFC offered me the Jones fight," Rua said. "I didn't have enough time, just two weeks; that wasn't enough time for good preparation."
Instead, Rua will need to have a winning performance vs. Gustafsson to remain in title contention. The 31-year-old improved to 21-6 with his victory over Vera, which made him 3-3 in his last six.
- Lavar Johnson: "I Don't Really Bark, I Just Bite"
- Dustin Poirier: Nothing's For Sure In MMA 'til The Cage Is Locked
- Dana White To UFC On Fox 5 Fighters: Please, Stay Healthy
- Nick Diaz, Not Johny Hendricks, Is GSP's No. 1 Contender, Says Trainer
- Che Mills-Matt Riddle On Deck For UFC On Fuel TV 7
- Anderson Silva At 170 Pounds? Coach Says It Would Be A "Crime"
- ONE FC And GLORY Strike Deal, Additional DREAM Championship Fight Mentioned
- Lorenz Larkin: Luke Rockhold Signed To Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.