Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua plans on making a statement when he steps inside the Octagon to face Thiago Silva. The two are scheduled to meet at UFC 149 on July 21 from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Rua has been out of action since a loss to Dan Henderson late in 2011. He was expected to face Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, but Jackson opted for double-knee surgery instead.
"Actually, I've always said I don't like fighting other Brazilians, especially a guy I know like Thiago," said Rua, in a recent interview with Tatame. "I really like him, but we're professionals and that's what we do for a living. It's gonna be an ass kicking. I respect Thiago as an athlete and as a person, I know he's very good and complete, but I'll get there prepared."
Rua could move right back into contention with a strong performance, while Silva is coming off a loss to Alexander Gustafsson in his most recent fight.
- Benson Henderson's First Title Defense Set For UFC 150 Against Frankie Edgar
- Urijah Faber To Compete For UFC Interim Bantamweight Title
- Nephew Of Anderson Silva To Compete Saturday At "Lion Fight Muay Thai VI"
- Papy Abedi Will Seek First UFC Win Vs. Rick Story At "UFC On FX 4"
- Gilbert Melendez "Coming For All The 55-Pounders" Regardless Of Promotion
- Another Week, Another Interesting Tim Kennedy Video
- Siyar Bahadurzada In For Yoshihiro Akiyama To Face Thiago Alves At "UFC 149"
- Team Cruz Wants UFC Bantamweight Champ To Remain On "TUF: Live"
- Lineup Finalized For Bellator 69 Next Friday
- UFC On Fox Ratings Suffer Steep Decline
- Sarah Kaufman Will Challenge Ronda Rousey In August
- Report States No MMA Coming To New York This Year
- With Dominick Cruz Out, Urijah Faber Hopes UFC Creates Interim TItle
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.