Mark Munoz was set to face Chael Sonnen in a match to determine the No. 1 contender to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Issues with his elbow, however, caused Munoz to go under the knife, knocking him out of the bout.
Now, Munoz gets his chance to prove his worth when he meets undefeated prospect Chris Weidman tonight in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman.
The UFC's middleweight division is full of fighters who have went above-and-beyond in terms of hyping an event. Just ask any casual MMA fan if they know who Chael Sonnen or Michael Bisping are, and they will likely say yes. Is that because of their incredible talents inside the Octagon, or because they know how to talk-the-talk?
"It does get me riled up," said Munoz, in a recent interview with UFC.com. "When they talk stuff like that, they must be crazy. The one that deserves a title shot is me. They lost and they are talking about title shots right now. It doesn't make sense to me. I haven't been as vocal before, but now let the games begin."
Munoz has won seven of his last eight, with the lone loss coming to Yushin Okami via split decision. Okami went on to challenge Silva for the title, falling as well. Weidman presents a perfect challenge for Munoz, as he holds a strong record and can help vault him into title-contention.
"He's a good fighter, but I see myself exploiting the things I saw in him in his last fight," Munoz said. "Without giving too much away, I'm going to be who I am inside the Octagon. I'm going to force my will on him; it's no secret that I'm gonna throw bombs wherever I am."
- Carlos Condit Remains In Dark As Far As His Next Fight Goes
- Anderson Silva's Manager: Chael Sonnen's "A Good Guy"
- Mark Munoz Done Being Overlooked, Plans To "Drop Bombs" This Evening
- Despite Apology, Nevada Athletic Commission Not Pleased With Anderson Silva's Actions
- Chris Weidman Not Happy To Just "Barely" Beat Mark Munoz Tonight
- Fighting Anderson Silva Is "Lose-Lose" Situation For Jon Jones
- Chael Sonnen Opens Up About Loss To Silva, Retirement Talk
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.