Former UFC contender Mark Hominick has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts following a fourth consecutive loss to Pablo Garza earlier this year. Hominick made the announcement on UFC Tonight Tuesday evening.
"Over the last 11 years, I've followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I'll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon as I'm retiring and moving on to the next phase of my career," Hominick said. "I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I'll always be involved in the sport."
Hominick (20-12) faced Jose Aldo back in early 2011, fighting the UFC featherweight champion to a decision. He was knocked out by Chan Sung Jung later that year, and was defeated by both Eddie Yagin and Pablo Garza this year.
Hominick cited the death of his former trainer, Shawn Tompkins, as another reason to leave the sport, saying, "Losing him was a blow to all of us. It actually motivated me to carry on in his name, tradition and legacy. I want to do the same on the outside of the Octagon. I've reached a lot of my goals in my life. Now, I want to carry on with my life and my family."
The 30-year-old said the match with Aldo, in Toronto, was his crowning moment.
"I got to fight in front of 55,000 people in my home country and it really put me on the map in the MMA world," Hominick said. "I got to show people who I was as a fighter and a man."
- Anderson Silva Targeting Summer Return To The Octagon
- Jon Jones Recovering Well From His Elbow Injury
- Carlos Condit On Rematching Rory MacDonald: "I'm In"
- Mark Hominick Announces His Retirement From MMA
- Bellator Delays Rad Martinez-Shahbulat Shamhalaev Bout Until 2013
- UFC On Fox 5 Official Numbers Release; Event Drew 4.4 Million Viewers
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.