The one (and only) thing that everyone could agree on after Timothy Bradley’s undeserved victory over Manny Pacquiao was that a rematch would be wholly and totally unnecessary.
A lot of people thought that Pacquiao dominated Bradley on the eve of June 9. Some thought that Pacquiao won, but not by a wide margin. A precious few thought that Bradley deserved to beat Pacquiao – although, to this day, it’s hard to say whether they actually believed that or they were just trying to be different.
But no matter which side of the fence you came down on regarding the end result of that match, everyone was in unison about not wanting to see Pacquiao versus Bradley, part deux.
Been there, done that.
Well, regardless of whether we want it or not, Pacquiao versus Bradley the sequel is what we’re going to end up with. In light of the WBO’s insistence that the pair fight again and Bob Arum’s flip-flop on the matter, their November 2012 showdown is all but a foregone conclusion.
Or so we thought.
Pacquiao told The Associated Press from the Philippines on Thursday that he would prefer a rematch rather than Bradley giving up the WBO welterweight title that he won on a split decision because "people may think I just usurped it."
"My supporters shouldn't worry. We're going to get that title," said Pacquiao, who has the option of an immediate rematch with Bradley in his contract.
So then what’s the hold up? If Pacquiao wants a rematch and Bradley wants a rematch, why hasn’t one officially been set up yet? Mind you, this isn’t like the first time they agreed to fight. There are no huge details to work out in this one. The Filipino champ, per a stipulation that was in his contract last time, is entitled to a rematch. That means setting this bout up should be no problem, and there really shouldn’t be any sort of delay.
The obvious question on everyone’s mind is: could the delay mean that Pacquiao versus Bradley part two isn’t as much a foregone conclusion as we thought it was? Could we maybe see Pacquiao vs. Marquez IV, a much more preferred bout instead?
At this point it’s just a waiting game, but we should get a solid yes or no on whether a rematch is going down at some point in the next couple of weeks.