For better or worse, we should find out the fate of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s proposed and much-discussed May showdown by next week. Whether or not that decision ultimately pleases or crushes the boxing world remains to be seen, though.
Leading up to last week Pacquiao and Mayweather consistently threw mild, inconsequential jabs at one another through the media, all the while avoiding the only topic anyone cares about – when they’ll actually square off in the ring. Finally, seemingly tiring of the games, Mayweather went on a social media shooting spree last Wednesday during which he publicly and not-so-subtly called out his Filipino rival. He called him a punk. He said that Pacquiao was scared. He even went so far as to let his best friend 50 Cent mock Pacquiao at CES 2012.
For whatever reason, Pacquiao didn't bother responding.
On Tuesday, Mayweather posted this on his Twitter account:
I'm ready to fight Pacquiao 5/5/12 Bob Arum know the date can't change I have my guarantee call Schaefer & Al and stop lying to the public
January 16th was Dr. Martin Luther King Birthday January 17th is Muhammad Ali Birthday and May 5th is Pacquiao ass whooping day
First They say I'm Ducking the Fight. But now it seems like I'm begging for the fight.. What is going on?
Well, apparently Pacquiao heard him loud and clear this time. The Filipino champion heard him so much so, in fact, that he is reportedly going to make a decision on whether or not he'll fight Mayweather next week. According to the Los Angeles Times Pacquiao will take this weekend to contemplate his options, and will then make an announcement on what he will do shortly thereafter.
As per the Times:
Boxing officials close to the situation but unauthorized to discuss the Filipino superstar's plans publicly told The Times on Tuesday that Pacquiao has said he'll retreat to a remote location, pray and determine his 2012 schedule.
One of the officials said there's a "good chance" he'll ask for Mayweather in late May, which would be significant because neither has officially said yes to the fight and terms such as a guaranteed share of the share, the weight classification or other details.
So there you have it. A decision is coming – let’s just hope it ends up being the right one.