Ed Soares, the manager for Lyoto Machida, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and several other fighters, appeared on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo Friday afternoon. Soares helped clear up the recent confusion regarding Machida's decision to not accept a fight with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
The UFC asked Machida to take the place of Dan Henderson at UFC 151 on September 1 and face Jones, but "The Dragon" declined the bout. It appeared that Machida and Jones were on track to face off at UFC 152 later in September, but Machida also declined that request.
Soares stated that Machida wants a full eight-week training camp to prepare for Jones, adding that he "wants to make sure he's 100-percent when he fights." Soares also said that they asked the UFC to do the Jones-Machida fight in Brazil, but "the UFC couldn't do that."
In regards to the news that Silva offered to fight on UFC 151, Soares confirmed it, saying that "The Spider" was willing to face anyone at 205 besides Jones, "to save UFC 151." He also said that if Silva and UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre agree to fight in the future, it will likely be at a catch-weight of 178 pounds.
- Bellator Featherweight Interim Championship Fight Being Discussed
- Vladmir Matyushenko Ready For UFC Return
- Chad Mendes To Be Charged For Involvement In Bar Fight
- Details On Bellator's Reality Show Revealed, Fights Planned
- Chael Sonnen Continues To Taunt Jon Jones, Says Jones Relinquished Title
- Ronda Rousey Thinks Cyborg Can Make The Weight Cut
- Jon Jones Takes Full Responsibility For UFC 151 Cancellation, Sends Message To Hendo
- Gilbert Melendez "Ready For War" Against Pat Healy
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.