Lyoto Machida told the UFC that four weeks was not enough time to prepare for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. According to UFC president Dana White, that means Machida is no longer a top contender in the division.
Machida, a former champion, was defeated by Jones in late 2011. He was asked to face "Bones" later in September, but declined the fight.
"Machida is not next in line now," said White, during an interview on UFC Tonight Tuesday. "He will need to fight somebody else first."
"The Dragon" earned a convincing victory over Ryan Bader last month to vault into the No. 1 spot. White initially announced Jones vs. Machida for UFC 152, but admitted that he had not received confirmation from Machida yet when making that announcement.
"Before this happened, he was terrorizing me for a title shot," White said. "Then he said four weeks wasn't enough."
- UFC Boss Has "No Regrets" Over Cancelling UFC 151
- Lyoto Machida's Decision To Pass On Title Shot Moves Him Down The Line
- Foot Injury Could Keep Mark Munoz Sidelined For Over A Year
- Dana White Confirms Georges St-Pierre Vs. Anderson Silva In The Plans
- Teams For The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes Announced
- Odds Of Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza Fighting In November Looking Slim
- Tyson Nam, Bellator Contract Dispute Continues
- Video: Full Trailer For MMA-Inspired Film "Here Comes The Boom"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline