Before UFC on FOX 4, where Lyoto Machida (18-3) was declared the new No. 1 contender for the light heavyweight championship, he wasn't opposed to finishing his trilogy with Maurício Rua (21-6). Machida is set to fight the winner of Jon Jones (16-1) vs. Dan Henderson (29-8).
"Maybe me and Shogun make the third fight than Jones," said Machida. "Shogun against me would be great."
Machida and Rua fought back-to-back fights at UFC 104 and UFC 113 over the light heavyweight championship. Each has one victory over the other.
Dana White announced at the conclusion of UFC on FOX 4 that Machida earned the next for championship, due of his performance that night and frequently asking for another chance to reclaim the title.
- Michael Bisping Sounds Off On Fighters Who Use TRT
- Plans For Donald Cerrone-Anthony Pettis At UFC On Fox 5 Untrue, Says Dana White
- Marcus Aurelio Out Of Bellator 73 With Injury, Kelvin Tiller In
- Royce Gracie Says His Father Wanted Him To Highlight Jiu-Jitsu At Early UFC Shows
- Jared Rosholt Returns To Action For The First Time In Over A Year
- Javier Mendez Says “The Team Got Stronger After Koscheck Left”
- Chris Weidman Feels Anderson Silva’s Management Has "Downplayed" Him
- Felice Herring Turned To MMA As She Never Wanted To Stop Competing
- Before Named No. 1 Contender Lyoto Machida Wanted Conclusion To Maurício Rua Trilogy
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline