Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida didn't know before Monday's media conference call that the main event for UFC on Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera would be used to crown a new No. 1 contender. Machida, however, wasn't upset by the decision.
This Saturday night, while Machida takes on Ryan Bader, former UFC 205-pound champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Brandon Vera will square off in the main event. The Rua-Vera winner will determine the next challenger to current champion Jon Jones, who faces Dan Henderson later this year.
"Really, anything can happen," Machida said. "I'm trying to train as hard as I can and put on a good fight. (A future title shot is) not really what I'm focused on right now."
Machida was defeated by Jones last year, falling to 17-3 in his career. All three of his losses have come to former or current UFC champions, as he has been defeated by Jones, Rua and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
"I feel great going into this fight," Machida said. "There is always pressure, but I feel great."
- Report: Jon Fitch, Erick Silva Added To UFC 153
- John Dodson Vs. Jussier Da Silva At UFC On FX 5
- UFC Prepping Alexander Gustafsson For Major Fight
- Lyoto Machida Not Concerned With Decision To Make Rua-Vera No. 1 Contender Match
- Patricky Pitbull To Face Eddie Alvarez This October In Bellator
- Ryan Bader Feels Like He Is In The Thick Of Light Heavyweight Title Talk
- Jon Jones Responds To News Of Rua-Vera Becoming No. 1 Contender Match
- High Stakes Added To UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera Main Event
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.