Lyman Good (13-2) thinks that a win over Michail Tsarev (24-2) will bring him back into the swing of the title picture. Good, the first ever Bellator welterweight champion, lost his title to Ben Askren (10-0) back in October 2011 in his first defense.
Good is currently in the semifinals of the current welterweight tournament. While Good competes, he thanked Askren for holding the belt for him.
"Askren is like the gatekeeper for the belt," said Good said to MMA Junkie.
Good has been with Bellator since their second show and earned a 6-2 record for them. He currently is on a two fight win streak. Tsarev is on an 11 fight win streak with the last two taking place for Bellator. All of those fights have ended by round two. Since winning the championship, Askren has defended it twice. His latest win came in April of this year.
"It's not about the revenge, it's about regaining opportunity again," said Good. "Askren is just the one who happens to be standing in the way."
This Friday at Bellator 78, Good vs. Tsarev takes place and can be seen on MTV2. Spike.com will air the preliminary card.
- Frankie Edgar Thinks Pace Could Be José Aldo's Weakness
- Martin Kampmann: Carlos Condit Told Me He Wants A Rematch
- Lyoto Machida Looks At Jon Jones Rematch As The Fight Of His Life
- Luiz Cane Cut From UFC Following Recent Loss
- Anthony Pettis' Trainer Hopeful For Quick Return To Action
- Report: Jose Aldo-Frankie Edgar Targeted For UFC 156
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.