It took a nasty submission attempt by Pat Barry to light a fire under Lavar Johnson. In his second UFC fight, Johnson dropped Barry with nearly 20 unanswered blows to the head, earning his 17th career victory Saturday night at UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller.
Barry looked to have a submission locked in early, but Johnson showed off his excellent defense skills and brought the fight back to the feet.
"I wasn't surprised (that Barry took it to the ground)," Johnson said. "We've all been working on our ground games."
Johnson unleashed as the first round started to wind down, landing several haymakers from both the left and right sides. The win followed up a knockout victory over Joey Beltran in his UFC debut earlier this year.
Barry falls to 7-5 with the loss and is just 1-3 in his last four UFC bouts.
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Ratings Continue To Flag
- Video: Marcus Davis Mulling Retirement After KO
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch Official For UFC 149
- Dominick Cruz Injures ACL, UFC 148 Title Fight Canceled
- Nate Marquardt Vs. Tyron Woodley For Strikeforce Title
- Dana White Credits Donald Trump With UFC Return To Atlantic City
- Brian Stann Vs. Hector Lombard To Main Event "UFC On FOX 4"
- UFC Thinking About Another Possible Comeback Season For "TUF"
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode Recap: Wanderlei Earns A Win
- "Super Fight League 3" Results: James Thompson Tops Bobby Lashley
- Roger Gracie To Make Middleweight Debut Vs. Keith Jardine At Strikeforce Event
- Frank Mir Discusses His Next Opponent UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos
- Not Even Illness Could Take Johny Hendricks Down
- Nate Diaz Happy To Rest Up Before Title Shot
- Hendricks Vs. GSP A "Pretty Interesting Fight" To UFC Pres
- Dana White Says The Diaz Bros. Fight Like No One Else
- Frankie Edgar Assesses "Stud" Nate Diaz's Big Win
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.