A lot of fight fans remember Kenny Florian for three things: his 'I finish fights!' quote, razor sharp elbows, and a largely unoriginal nickname, "KenFlo."
However, it seems plausible that a whole new generation of Mixed Martial Arts fans will add one more thing to remember the Massachusetts native by: announcer.
Cozying in to his new gig as color commentator opposite Jon Anik for the UFC's FX and Fuel TV events, Florian reflected on probably his most famous quote.
"I knew it was a risky thing to say, but I went in and backed it up, you know? That's always been my style," said Florian.
A college graduate from Boston College, Florian also worked to change the negative perception of MMA and mixed martial artists in general.
"I remember Dana [White, UFC President] would always say like, 'You know that Kenny Florian looks like an accountant. You know, he looks like he'd do my taxes. He doesn't really look like a fighter.' And that was cool, it was a different perspective… There are some smart guys out there and guys who have a very intelligent approach and are good role models. I did my best to always to change that perception."
Now entrenched in his new career as an announcer, Florian is feeling more comfortable and has received more positive feedback than he anticipated this early on.
"In the beginning it was tough… anytime you're used to hearing a certain voice that's associated with, with a sport, you expect to hear that same style and that same voice and any time something's unfamiliar it's going to irk certain people… I've been surprised at how positive it's been, to be honest. A lot of people have been very complimentary," said Florian. "[I'm going to] do my best to get better and better every time out."
Florian will have another opportunity at improvement June 22, when UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida takes place at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City, NJ.
- Frank Shamrock Slams UFC Hall Of Fame
- Quick Shots: Dana White Jokes On Rampage, Done Buying Companies
- B.J. Penn Looking To Show Tristar & Canada What He's Really About
- Video: Wanderlei Silva Trains With Lyoto Machida At Black House
- UFC Featherweight Ross Pearson Excited To Test His Skills Against Cub Swanson, Make Title Run
- Michael Bisping Reads Texts From Chael Sonnen On 'UFC Tonight'
- Dana White On Fernandes: If He Says He Didn't Sign, He Didn't Sign
- Dan Miller Talks Welterweight Debut At "UFC On FX: Maynard Vs. Guida"
- Kenny Florian On The Former Contender’s New Career