After Shamrock was cut following his third loss to Tito Ortiz, the two parties became locked in lengthy litigation over a contract dispute, with a judge eventually ruling in the UFC's favor. Shamrock recently appeared going on record speaking out against the UFC's fighter pay policies on a controversial piece for ESPN and, in response to the ESPN piece, UFC president Dana White lambasted the pioneering fighter.
The saga continues, as Shamrock recently appeared on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani to further discuss things from his point of view.
All I did was go out there and say what I thought, my experience and the things where I came from and the things that I saw and it was my opinion and just my opinion, right or wrong or indifferent. And he fires off all these things, like I owe him money -- which, that's an absolute lie, I owe him no money. Filing a bogus lawsuit? That's funny, but -- everybody has a right to defend themselves, whether they win or lose and if you win, obviously they're going to say yours is a bogus lawsuit. Well, if it was a bogus lawsuit, it probably wouldn't have gone to the pellate court.
I don't like to come in and say, 'I've done this and I've done that,' because really, it takes a village to make something happen. It takes a lot of people to make it successful. And to hear Dana White say, 'I did this and I did that. It was me. And he didn't do this and didn't do that.' Well, how in the world did they get to where they were at if it was just Dana? Because I didn't see him in the ring. I didn't see Dana fighting. I didn't see the numbers go up when they had just Tito there. I didn't see any of that.
What I saw was me getting in there, building an organization, having a feud with Tito Ortiz to help build those numbers, along with Dana White and the corporation and the company to shoot that feud. And also to have Tito there, who was a great villain -- to have someone going against me. And that's how we did those numbers. Because we all got involved and did it.
- Dan Miller Dropping To Welterweight, Receives Ricardo Funch At "UFC On FX 4"
- Matt Hughes Still Up In The Air Over Retirement
- Demian Maia To Face Dong Hyun Kim In Welterweight Debut
- Rampage Blames Himself For Strained Relationship With UFC
- Ian McCall-Demetrious Johnson Rematch Scheduled For UFC On FX 3
- UFC 152 And UFC 154 Scheduled For Canada
- Silva-Sonnen 2 Headed To Soccer Stadium In Rio
- UFC 149 Press Conference In Calgary Notes And Quotes
- Live Video Of UFC's "Major Announcement" Press Conference Beginning At 2 PM ET
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.