Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos plans to work his way right back to a shot at the UFC title. Dos Santos was defeated by Cain Velasquez at UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II recently.
Despite suffering 25 minutes of punches, kicks and takedowns, dos Santos was not discouraged for the loss. He discussed his performance with SporTV.
"He was better and deserved the win, but I used the wrong strategy," dos Santos said. "I was too worried about his takedowns and didn't protect my face, so he hit me. When the fight was on the ground, I should have used my jiu-jitsu more - I trained it so much."
Dos Santos looked to be working for a few submissions after each takedown by Velasquez, but never locked anything in. He added, "I just tried to get back up and it didn't help me. I didn't really connect with any good punches."
The proud Brazilian plans to get right back to training as soon as he can, but the sting of his first UFC defeat will be one that lasts for a while.
"It was disappointing because I was feeling good, had an awesome training camp," dos Santos said. "Everything was right. But that's how fighting is. I want a rematch now, soon."
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.