Junior dos Santos (15-1) is known for his knockout power and if anyone doubts it, ask Cain Velasquez (10-1). At the first UFC On Fox event, dos Santos defeated Velasquez after taking him off his feet early in round one with a right hand. Moments later and dos Santos was the new heavyweight champion. The two will fight in a rematch before the year ends and this time, dos Santos may have something different planned to end this one.
"I believe I can keep the fight standing, but it doesn't matter much" said dos Santos to the Los Angeles Times. "If he gets me down, I'll either get back on my feet, or, if he holds me there, I've been working hard on my jiu-jitsu, so I'll work to submit him. This can be my first submission."
Since the two first met, they have had one fight since. dos Santos retained his championship within two rounds and Velasquez became the No. 1 contender after a round one knockout. 10 of dos Santos' fights have ended in the first round via KO or TKO. Both fighters last performed at UFC 146 in May.
"I don't think I have anything to prove in the Octagon other than doing my best," said dos Santos. "I beat him and I will beat him again. In one round, five rounds or more."
- Josh Koscheck Reports Possible Nick Diaz Fight
- Gilbert Melendez Could Go To UFC "Anytime" Says Cesar Gracie
- UFC On Fox 5 Loaded With 13 Bouts
- Change Made To UFC 154 Fight Card Lineup
- WSOF Matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz Promises Every Card Will Be Packed With Action
- Strikeforce’s Evangelista Santos Jumps Ship To Legacy FC
- Tim Gorman Goes From Bar Fighter To Championship Contender
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.