Marquez stunned the combat sports world when he floored Pacquiao earlier this month at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. On Saturday night, Velasquez will look to win back the UFC heavyweight title when he squares off with Junior dos Santos at UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II.
"It is great motivation," said Velasquez, of seeing what Marquez did. "I want to step up and deliver a great performance just like he did."
Velasquez said he previously meet Marquez while both were traveling to Mexico City. He added that they talked for a brief time and that he admired Marquez.
As for his own preparation, Velasquez said, "I have been motivated for this fight, thinking about it, for a year. It was a long training came but a good one."
- Dana White On When Gilbert Melendez May Get A Lightweight Championship Shot
- Alistair Overeem Submits Application For Licensing
- UFC Makes Bobby Green-Jacob Volkmann Official For UFC 156
- Junior Dos Santos Enjoys Being Sponsored By Nike
- Cain Velasquez Looking To Follow In Footsteps Of Juan Manuel Marquez
- Cage Warriors 51 Lineup Changed Due To Injuries
- Daniel Cormier Inks UFC Deal Ahead Of Final Strikeforce Fight
- Michael Kuiper-Buddy Roberts Added To UFC On Fox 6
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.