After a five round war with Gilbert Melendez for the Strikeforce Lightweight title in May, many have wondered when we can expect to see "The Punk" back inside the cage. In an exclusive interview with FightLine, a healthy Thomson told us he wants to fight as soon as possible.
"Training has been good. I tried to get on the July 14 card in Portland but Sean Shelby and Scott (Coker) were talking about having to use certain fighters by a certain time because of their contracts," commented Thomson. "So I'm trying to get on the August 18 card and that might even get bumped again so September just because of the contract stuff."
It would appear that the lack of Strikeforce action has sidelined Thomson for the time being. The organization has only held three fights this year but that does not mean Thomson plans on slowing down.
"I want to try and get two more fights in this year which would be great. I can fight like August/September and then maybe November/December. That would be wonderful. It all comes to me staying healthy," explained Thomson.
At thirty three years of age, the former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion says he is in prime form, despite all the battles he has been through.
"I feel great. It's weird, I haven't felt this good since I was 27. I feel great and It's been great having Gray (Maynard) there with Justin Wilcox and even Tyson Griffin is coming in and hopefully he makes the change over to training with us full time but it's been awesome," said Thomson, referring to his teammates at the American Kickboxing Academy. "There are a lot of younger guys coming up so it's been great having our team build and having all the young talent coming through the door."
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch Planned For "UFC 153" In Rio
- Maruicio “Shogun” Rua Describes Glover Teixeira Situation In His Own Words
- Showtime GM Says UFC Programming On Their Channel A Possibility
- Rich Franklin Hoping For One Final Title Run In The UFC
- Retirement The Right Call, Says Fedor Emelianenko
- Fired Up Anderson Silva Goes Medieval, Says He'll Break "Criminal" Sonnen's Limbs
- Dana White Critical Of Performances By "TUF: Brazil" Fighters At "UFC 147"
- Wanderlei Silva Will Have To Wait Longer For Rematch With Vitor Belfort
- Date For Junior Dos Santos Vs. Cain Velasquez II Unknown