Josh Barnett (31-6) for a short period in time was the UFC heavyweight champion before he was stripped of it due to a failed drug test. Barnett, who has been fighting out of Strikeforce lately, predicted that if Cain Velasquez (10-1) wants to defeat Junior dos Santos (15-1) he needs to take the fight to the ground.
"Here's the deal - If Cain can get his takedown game, his timing on fighting Junior to initiate and score the takedown early on, if he can get it going and be successful with it, he can win that fight," said Barnett on the Joe Rogan Experience.
It was at UFC on FOX 1 that Santos defeated Velasquez to win the title. It was Velasquez's first title defense. Santos struck early in the first round before Velasquez could mount any offense.
"[Velasquez's] still not going to be successful unless he gets that takedown, that timing down," said Barnett. "If he doesn't get that timing down it won't even matter."
The rematch between Santos and Velasquez is this Saturday, December 29, from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.
- Dana White On When Gilbert Melendez May Get A Lightweight Championship Shot
- Alistair Overeem Submits Application For Licensing
- UFC Makes Bobby Green-Jacob Volkmann Official For UFC 156
- Junior Dos Santos Enjoys Being Sponsored By Nike
- Cain Velasquez Looking To Follow In Footsteps Of Juan Manuel Marquez
- Cage Warriors 51 Lineup Changed Due To Injuries
- Daniel Cormier Inks UFC Deal Ahead Of Final Strikeforce Fight
- Michael Kuiper-Buddy Roberts Added To UFC On Fox 6
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.