Joseph Benavidez won one side of the bracket by TKOing Yasuhiro Urushitani and was expected to quickly turn around and face the winner of the other side in a match between Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall. Unfortunately, due to an officiating error, the fight was announced a win for Johnson when it was actually scored a draw and should have gone to a sudden death round.
Now, McCall and Johnson are set to rematch and Benavidez is forced to sit on the sidelines and wait to see how things play out. Speaking with MMAInterviews recently, Benavidez broke down the second bout between the two.
"Draws don't happen unless the guys are really, really evenly matched. These are two of the best guys in the world at the weight. There's really no way to call it. I think it's just gonna come down to who goes out and really executes," Benavidez asserted. "I think Ian McCall definitely gained a little confidence from that fight knowing he can go in there and hang with these guys. And maybe Demetrious went in there and underestimated him -- now he knows how tough a guy McCall is.
"So, I think you're gonna see a great, even fight. Looks like McCall is gonna have to go in there and implement some takedowns and more control and Mighty Mouse is just gonna have to control him. Whoever executes that part of their game is gonna come out with the win."
McCall and Johnson are set to fight again this Friday at UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall, which is going down at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida.
- BJ Penn Accepts Rory MacDonald's Fight Request
- Kenny Robertson Replaces Jon Fitch For Match With Aaron Simpson
- Michael McDonald Not Going Anywhere After Signing New Deal With UFC
- "UFC 151" Receives Dennis Siver Vs. Eddie Yagin
- Joe Benavidez Breaks Down McCall-Johnson 2
- Brett Rogers Inked To Contract By Bellator
- Knee Surgery In The Future For Martin Kampmann
- "Countdown To UFC 147: Franklin Vs. Silva II" Debuts June 19
- 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale' Medical Suspensions
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.