Aldo was set to face former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar at UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar in October from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. However, UFC president Dana White confirmed on Tuesday that "Scarface" would not make the bout.
It appears that the injuries Aldo suffered after being hit by a vehicle on his motorcycle a few weeks ago are to blame for the removal. It was reported at the time that Aldo was dealt only minor injuries, including a swollen foot.
Via Aldo's Twitter account:
Sorry guys, i really want to fight but is hurting a lot my injuries. Im very sad right now!
The UFC has yet to announce any replacement bouts for the card, which also lost its co-main event between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Glover Teixeira after Jackson's withdrawal.
- Lyoto Machida Tweets Out A "Big Surprise" Is In The Future; Wanderlei Silva Hints At UFC 153 Fight
- Fabio Maldonado Wants To Face Glover Teixeira In Brazil, Teixeira Willing To Face Anyone
- UFC Confirms TUF: India, Show To Begin In 2013
- Jose Aldo "Very Sad" For Having To Pull Out Of UFC 153
- Frankie Edgar Willing To Fight Whenever The UFC Wants Him To
- If Asked, Urijah Faber All For Facing Frankie Edgar
- Joe Lauzon Proves He Asked For Gray Maynard First
- Roger Hollett Back In To Face Matt Hamill At UFC 152
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline