In the meantime, the two will take coaching positions on The Ultimate Fighter's 17th season beginning in January. The season will start filming later this month, with middleweights and light heavyweights set to compete.
Jones and Sonnen will then square off April 27 in the main event of a pay-per-view. Sonnen will not face Forrest Griffin December as originally planned.
This means Sonnen (28-12-1) will earn a title shot at 205 pounds despite never competing in the division within the UFC. He will also go from a bout with Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title to a fight with Jones for the light heavyweight crown.
"Leaving for Vegas in about a week to coach the ultimate fighter tv show," Jones posted on Twitter. "Lol I just thought about that, half the guys I'll be coaching will probably be older than me (in response to being the youngest coach in TUF history)."
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.