No one has been successful closing the distance on Jon Jones, and "Bones" doesn't think Rashad Evans is the man to change that. The current light heavyweight champ feels his striking will be too much for Evans, promising a finish at UFC 145 tonight.
"I see myself going out there, playing it really smart, having a great time and just picking him apart from long range. I know his game plan is to get in close but it sounds easier than what it actually is," said Jones. "You're going to take some punishment getting in close with me. I envision myself winning this fight by knockout."
With the longest reach in UFC history, Jones' has utilized his tremendous length to get the better of his opponents on the feet. Outstriking the likes of Lyoto Machida and Mauricio Rua speak volumes about this tremendous 24 year old talent.
Yet, some have made the argument that those long limbs might make him susceptible to the takedown from one of the best MMA wrestlers in Rashad Evans. Jones, who refers to himself as "chicken legs" from time to time said he worked hard to improve his strength during his camp.
"With Rashad Evans, he's a shorter guy, he's really stocky and he has explosive power. So, us long, rangy guys are a lot faster but a lot of us suffer when it comes to general core strength power," explained Jones. "I focused on being extremely powerful and I feel it. I think I'll out power him in the trenches, I'll out power him long range and on the ground."
Jones will look to settle the feud tonight from the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. The New York native is in search of his fourth title defense and could not feel more confident heading in.
"I feel powerful beyond measure, honestly and I can't wait to go out there and play this game that I love."
"Anywhere the fight will go, I'll be stronger and hungrier."
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Live Coverage & Results
- Jon Jones: “Anywhere The Fight Will Go, I’ll Be Stronger And Hungrier”
- It’s Payback: Rashad Evans Predicts 2nd Round Victory
- Quick Shots: Nick Diaz Seminar, Chael Sonnen On Fight Day This Afternoon, Ranallo Note
- Video: Third And Final Episode Of "UFC 145 Primetime"
- MMA Link Club: Couture On Evans-Jones, UFC 145, Velasquez Open To Random Drug Testing
- Report: UFC 147 Headed To New City In Brazil; Sonnen-Silva 2 To Las Vegas, UFC 148
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Is Sold Out
- Bellator 66 Results: Alvarez Avenges Loss To Aoki
- Frank Mir Replaces Alistair Overeem At UFC 146 In Title Match With Junior Dos Santos
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Episode Seven Recap
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Preview And Predictions
- Rashad Evans Reminds Jon Jones Not To Look Past Saturday Night
- Check Out Rebellion Radio This Sunday Evening
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Weigh-Ins
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Weigh-In Results
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.