UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones knows he is in for the battle of his life when he meets Rashad Evans later this moth at UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans. However, that hasn't stopped many from talking about "Bones" filling in for Alistair Overeem and facing Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title next month if he's successful against Evans.
Jones, in a recent interview with PricklyPairStudios, said a bout with dos Santos is something he'd think about, but quickly added that the two are friends and he isn't all that interested in facing "Cigano" right now.
"It is something I would totally entertain," said Jones (thanks to MMAMania.com for transcribing). "But at the same time, I have so much respect for Junior dos Santos. He's such a cool dude. He treated me like his brother when we were in Brazil together. If it was somebody else, I would definitely go for it. But it's Junior."
Jones also said he understands there is a lot of work left to do in the 205-pound division of the UFC, but he has expressed interest in a move to heavyweight down the road. The more likely move is Frank Mir replacing Overeem if he fails to receive his fight license, but you can expect the talk of Jones stepping in to heat up if he defeats Evans and doesn't suffer any serious injury in the process.
- "Bellator 65" Weigh-In Results: Zach Makovsky, Eduardo Dantas Official For Main Event
- Video: UFC 145 - "The Champ Is Here!"
- Frank Trigg Fired By HDNet Over Claims Of Domestic Abuse And Adultery
- Tito Ortiz Picks Jones Over Evans At UFC 145
- Alessio Sakara Predicts KOTN Or FOTN Against Brian Stann
- Brandon Vera Sees Thiago Silva Getting KTFO By Gustafsson
- Video: "UFC On FUEL TV: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Press Conference
- Nick Diaz's Team Responds To Amended NSAC Complaint
- Video: Pros Split Over Jones Vs. Evans Winner
- Frank Mir To Be A Guest On "MMA Uncensored Live" Tonight On Spike TV
- Jonathan Brookins Takes His Training To New Level As Bout With Charles Oliveira Approaches
- UFC Approves Of Creation Of IMMAF
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.