UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was asked on Twitter about the news that Dan Henderson was injured three weeks prior to their planned fight at UFC 151. Jones, who turned down a replacement bout with Chael Sonnen, responded.
"Glad you guys are opening your eyes," Jones wrote.
Henderson informed The MMA Hour during a visit Monday that he hurt his MCL during training and was hoping the injury would heal before he had to meet "Bones" for the UFC light heavyweight title on September 1. After consulting with doctors for the UFC, it was determined he could not fight Jones.
Jones will instead defend his title atUFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort in Toronto later in September. Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, both ex-UFC champions, turned down the fight before Belfort accepted it. Jones has already defeated both Machida and Rua.
"Another former world champion," Jones posted, in regards to facing Belfort," now this is what I'm here for.."
Belfort will be coached by Rashad Evans, a long-time former training partner of Jones' while the two were teammates in New Mexico. Evans, who lost to Jones via decision earlier this year, will work with Belfort in Florida. When Jones was asked if this concerns him, he responded with, "nope."
- Tim Means-Abel Trujillo, Daron Cruickshank-Henry Martinez Moved To UFC On Fox 5
- Chael Sonnen Says Vitor Belfort "Never Shows Up," Will Pull Out Of Jon Jones Fight
- Mike Swick-Matt Brown To Square Off At UFC On Fox 5
- Heavyweights Brendan Schaub, Lavar Johnson Headed For Seattle
- Bellator Returns To Ohio, Two Names Confirmed
- Jon Jones Responds To News Dan Henderson Was Injured Three Weeks Prior To Cancelling Fight
- Dan Henderson Targets Year-End Show For Return To Action
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.