It was a good fight, but didn't exactly live up to the great expectations heaped upon it. Which, after so much hype, was pretty much impossible anyway. Still, Jones overcame a tough test in dealing with his former training partner for five rounds. And though he actually looked human at times in the bout, Jones extended his dominant reign over the light heavyweight division and opened up the queue for the next challenger to his belt.
Saturday night at the UFC 145 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White revealed what most already knew: Dan Henderson will be the next man to be thrown against the dynamic young champion.
"Yeah, we told Dan Henderson he would fight the winner of this fight," said White.
For Jones' part, he's happy to have already have an opponent laid before him, especially one as formidable as Henderson, who's riding a four-fight winning streak including one of the best fights of all time against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.
"I feel great that I already have a mission and I'm gonna work extremely hard to better myself," said Jones. "… Dan Henderson is an awesome opponent. He's a winner. He has a huge fanbase. I'm sure the haters are gonna come right away, which I'm okay with. There's just gonna be a lot of things to conquer in this fight. He has extreme knockout power. … I'm excited to conquer."
- Video: Bob Sapp Goes Down Again
- Dos Santos Heavy Favorite Over Mir At UFC 146
- UFC 147 Special Announcement Presser Tomorrow
- Silva-Sonnen Rematch May Not Be In Brazil, Announcement Shortly
- Ratings Roundup: UFC 145 Primetime And TUF: Live Episode 7
- "Bellator 66: Aoki Vs. Alvarez" Fighter Salaries
- Video: Wanderlei Silva UFC 147 Video Blog
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Medical Suspensions
- OAC Hands Down Punishment To Andreas Spang For Post-Bellator 66 Fight
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode 5 Recap
- Alistair Overeem Releases Statement On Elevated Levels Of Testosterone
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighters Marcus Brimage, Maximo Blanco Have Tumble-Off
- Junior Dos Santos Gives Jon Jones Props For His Victory Over Rashad Evans
- Cain Velasquez To Face Antonio Silva At UFC 146
- Brock Lesnar's Decision To Return To WWE Fine With UFC Boss
- Change In Opponent Hasn't Changed Junior Dos Santos' Plans: KO Finish
- Dana White: Overeem's Future With UFC Up In The Air
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.