The two will meet in the main event of UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson on September 1 from Las Vegas. This will be the fourth title defense for Jones, and he knows how important a win over Henderson would be in terms of cementing his status.
"Beating Dan Henderson is very important to me," said Jones, during a media conference call Tuesday. "I feel like I'm fighting the current Pride champion and current Strikeforce champion in some ways. I am fighting to get some of that credibility, and I don't take age into consideration."
Jones has defended his title against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Lyoto Machida and Rashad Evans since winning the belt from Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Henderson earned his shot at the belt by defeating Rua late in 2011, and even owns a signature victory over former heavyweight king Fedor Emelianenko.
"Dan beat Fedor, and Fedor is one of my idols," Jones said. "To have Dan Henderson in my win column, that would mean the world to me."
- Miguel Torres Announces That He Has Signed With Titan FC
- Johny Hendricks-Martin Kampmann Official For UFC 154
- Rampage Jackson Hints At Fighting Outside Of UFC After Bout With Glover Teixeira
- Seattle To Host UFC On Fox 5
- Frankie Edgar Makes Featherweight Move Official
- Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones "Will Never Fight Me"
- Chris Weidman Just Wants Anderson Silva To Give Him A Chance
- Anthony Pettis Says His Fight With Donald Cerrone "Is Happening"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.