To Jon Fitch (23-4-1 NC), a championship shot comes to those who draw big PPV numbers and not based on talent.
"It's impossible to tell," said Fitch on Full Contact Fighter. "There's no system for picking No. 1 contenders. There's no order, there's no lineup, there's no point system. It's just whoever they feel they're going to make the most money off of. That's who gets the title shot."
Fitch is coming off a draw and loss in his last two fights. Before that he was 13-1, with the loss coming when the welterweight championship was up for grabs. After several injuries, Fitch is expected to return at UFC 153 against Erick Silva (15-2-1 NC).
"It kind of sucks because in other sports there's kind of a clear path," said Fitch. "That's just not the way combat sports work I guess. It doesn't work that way with boxing or the UFC. It comes down to showmanship. I have to be a better showman to get a title shot. I don't have to be a better fighter I just have to be a better showman."
- Nick Ring Vs. Constantinos Philippou Added To UFC 154
- Jorge Masvidal: Strikeforce Needs More Shows
- Jon Jones Thinks He's Wrongfully Portrayed As The Villain
- Fans Will See A Reborn Chris Leben In UFC Return
- Jon Fitch Thinks Championship Fights Are Given Out To The UFC's Favorites
- UFC 140 Taught Walel Watson A Lesson The Hard Way
- Krzysztof Soszynski-Ednaldo Oliveira Set For UFC On FX: Lombard Vs. Palhares
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline