Jon Fitch has worked his way to the top of the UFC's welterweight division, securing a title shot vs. Georges St-Pierre. However, after a draw with BJ Penn and a stunning knockout loss to Johny Hendricks, Fitch knows he needs to have a strong performance.
Fitch will face Erick Silva this Saturday night in a main card bout at UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar. Silva is viewed as a future contender at 170 pounds, but Fitch wants to remind him that time is not now.
"He's got some hype on him, but I will shut him down like I shut everyone down," Fitch said. "I know he has a bright future, but it his time yet. I will beat him up like I did all the rest."
Fitch went five years without a loss before falling to St-Pierre via decision in 2008. He won his next five UFC fights - all by decision.
"I have to use my striking to set up my takedowns," Fitch said. "He's fast and explosive, and I know I can't have a slow first round against someone like him."
- Anderson Silva's "Focus" Is On GSP Super-Fight
- Jon Fitch Not Ready To Step To The Side In Welterweight Division
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Is "Useless," According To Dave Herman
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Confident He Will Finish Dave Herman At UFC 153
- Vinny Magalhaes: UFC Fighter And Master Prognosticator
- Anderson Silva Feeling Excited For UFC 153 Fight With Stephan Bonnar
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.