Johny Hendricks won't be fighting for the UFC welterweight title at UFC 158: St-Pierre Vs. Diaz, but he will be competing. The consensus No. 1 contender will face Jake Ellenberger at the March 16 card from Montreal.
UFC officials announced the bout Saturday night. The two will join a main event between Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz for the title, and a co-main event featuring fellow welterweights Carlos Condit and Rory MacDonald.
Hendricks (14-1) is on a five-fight win streak and seemed poised to compete for the belt after defeating Martin Kampmann. Instead, GSP asked for Diaz, and the UFC gave him that fight.
Ellenberger (28-6) is coming off a victory over Jay Hieron and is 7-2 inside the Octagon.
- DREAM Places Inaugural Featherweight Championship Bout On NYE Card
- TUF Loser Sam Alvey Given MFC Title Shot
- Video: Highlights From This Past Friday's Bellator 84
- Dana White: Every Signed UFC Fighter Is On Twitter
- Daniel Cormier Targets Four-To-Five Fights In 2013
- The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale Salaries Released
- Patrick Cote-Alessio Sakara Rematch Off For UFC 158
- Nick Diaz On Facing GSP: "This Is The Fight I Want"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.