When it came out this week that Carlos Condit was warming up to the idea of defending his interim title and would be most interested in doing so against the surging Martin Kampmann -- the last man to defeat him -- Johny Hendricks took offense.
Hendricks has been hovering near the top of the division for awhile now and, like many, has been pushing for Condit to put his interim strap on the line rather than wait for proper champion Georges St-Pierre to recover from his knee injury. After all, that is essentially the point of establishing an interim title to begin with.
On Twitter today, Hendricks reaffirmed his desire to fight Condit, citing the fact that both St-Pierre and Kampmann are expected to be out for some time while the rest of the division stagnates.
Yes it's official: I did call out @CarlosCondit yesterday but I'm waiting for a reply.
I did hear back from all my fans though -Loud & Clear! Thanks to all of you who want to see me vs @CarlosCondit!
Kampmann is taking a month off then having knee surgery. Who knows when GSP is really returning? Let's move the WW's forward!
Since losing a unanimous decision to Rick Story in December of 2010, Hendricks has gone on a four-fight streak that's seen him knock out TJ Waldburger and Jon Fitch, and take split decisions over Mike Pierce and Josh Koscheck. His most recent win came over Koscheck this past May at UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller.
- Ronda Rousey's First Title Defense To Take Place August 18
- Dana White Confirms Anderson Silva Still A Go For Chael Sonnen Fight
- UFC Middleweight Aids Two Victims In Swarm Attack
- BJ Penn Talks Reason For Taking Rory MacDonald Fight
- Jorge Masvidal Vs. Justin Wilcox, Ryan Couture Vs. Joe Duarte Added To July Strikeforce Card
- Jared Papazian Promises To "Come To Fight" Dustin Pague Tomorrow Night
- Gilbert Melendez Content With Strikeforce/Showtime
- Demetrious Johnson “Glad” To Get Rematch With Ian McCall
- Randy Couture No Proponent For TRT