Johny Hendricks (14-1) remains adamant that his next fight should be for the welterweight title. Jake Shields (27-6-1-1 NC) recently went on Twitter to challenge Hendricks, who took it as a joke.
"I laugh," said Hendricks on The MMA Hour. "He doesn't advance my cause at all. My cause is to be a number one contender. What he's trying to do, I don't blame him. I have a target on my back. And I like that position. But I just want the belt in my hand."
Coming out of UFC 154, Hendricks scored his fourth first round knockout for the promotion and as a result was under the impression that he would be the No. 1 contender. While Dana White said he remains his status, though the next shot at the gold was given to Nick Diaz (26-8-1 NC).
In Shields last fight, over the summer, his decision win over Ed Herman (20-8-1 NC) was overturned after he tested positive for a banned substance.
What's next for both fighters has not been disclosed.
- Anderson Silva Targeting Summer Return To The Octagon
- Jon Jones Recovering Well From His Elbow Injury
- Carlos Condit On Rematching Rory MacDonald: "I'm In"
- Mark Hominick Announces His Retirement From MMA
- Bellator Delays Rad Martinez-Shahbulat Shamhalaev Bout Until 2013
- UFC On Fox 5 Official Numbers Release; Event Drew 4.4 Million Viewers
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.