John Dodson rose to prominence by winning The Ultimate Fighter title. Now, his career goal is to become a three-division champion in the UFC.
Dodson took the first step towards achieving that by stopping Jussier Formiga Friday night at UFC On FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot. By doing so, Dodson became the No. 1 contender in the flyweight division, securing himself a future match with UFC 125-pound champion Demetrious Johnson.
"The goal is I want to get the 125, 135 and 145 class (belts)," said Dodson, during the post-fight show on Fuel TV. "That is what I want to do in the sport."
While one of Dodson's main strengths is his speed, that will be put to the test against Johnson - who has been called the fastest fighter in the UFC. "Mighty Mouse" won the belt by decision over Joseph Benavidez last month.
"I am going to challenge his speed and I'm going to see how fast he can go," said Dodson, of fighting Johnson. "I want to push him faster and harder than he can go, and by the fifth round, tire him out."
- Anderson Silva's Career Goal: Undefeated UFC Mark
- Ex-WWE Star Dave Bautista Wins MMA Debut
- "Invicta FC 3" Results: Jessica Penne Becomes Atomweight Champion
- Glover Teixeira: I'm Jon Jones Toughest Challenge In The Division
- Erick Silva Says Fighters Have To Be Unpredictable
- King Mo Has Bellator Ranked As One Of The Top MMA Companies
- Dana White Defends Paying Dennis Hallman
- "ONE FC 6: Rise Of Kings" Results: Aoki Scores Submission Victory
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.